Scheduling Even the Mundane

Posted by Kalen on Sunday, July 10, 2011. Filed under: , ,



So I started using Google Calendar more religiously about 9 months ago or so, when I realized that my mom brain was not allowing me to even remember where I sat my glass of water down. The funniest part is that I would schedule really normal, every day activities instead of important social events or appointments.

Examples of Things I Would Schedule
-Take long shower while Everly is napping today
-Call sister
-Go get some groceries
-Clear out inbox and reply to messages

Looking at these things, it's clear I could have just made a to-do list, but instead it was necessary for me to actually schedule them, so I could look at my calendar and see how I'd been spending my time (other than changing diapers and preparing bottles).

These days, my schedule actually is more social and full of appointments. The next two weeks I have a playdate at an aquatic center, I have to pay my first payment toward student loans (ouch!), Billy's cousin Chris is coming to visit us, we close on our house & pick up the Uhaul, I have my 24 week appointment with my midwife, two renters (so far) are coming to look at the house, my dad and stepmom are coming up to visit, and I'm sending a pizza to a woman in my playgroup that just had a baby.

But I think the calendar is a good example of how motherhood has been for me. At the beginning, it was just about basic survival and whether or not I could brush my teeth that day without being too tired. As I've gained confidence and skill, my calendar has become fuller and I pride myself on being busier. I guess I feel like I can manage all of these things when before, they would have overwhelmed me.

So... new mamas... if during those first 6-12 weeks or so you feel like you have to make an appointment with your partner so they can rub your feet or maybe even a repeating "event" of eating dinner every night... do it. I promise, we've all been there and we all understand. And those things are just as important as any other "event" you did before or will do again in the future.

For now... just enjoy and love your babies. That's something that you shouldn't have to add to a calendar to remember.

3 Responses to Scheduling Even the Mundane

  1. Stephanie

    I have absolutely no excuse for using my calendar as a to-do list, buuut I do. God help me when I have children! Ha.

  2. Anonymous

    i don't keep a to-do list or a calendar, probably why i miss a lot of appointments and get phone calls from doctor's offices :/

  3. Tiffanie

    I'm anal with my google calendar and totally make it my to-do list. otherwise i forget EVERYTHING. heaven help me when my phone & google calendar online do not sync up.

Leave a Reply