Designing a Profitable Blog

Posted by Kalen on Monday, February 21, 2011. Filed under: , ,



You should know that I'm not very patient. So as you can guess, when I logged on this morning to view Momfish and there weren't 2,000 users registered on the message board and 90,000 new comments on my posts - I knew I was doomed for failure.

Non-related Interjection time:
mel·o·dra·mat·ic?- adjective
[mel-uh-druh-mat-ik]
exaggerated and emotional or sentimental; sensational or sensationalized; overdramatic.


...Lalalala.

So. I worked on the forum after Everly's morning bottle, but it wasn't very productive because now that she can roll all the heck around everywhere, she likes to roll over toward me and try to lick my feet and chew on my pants leg. What I realized is that basically my forum looks like a 15 year old created it right now. My 15 year old self used to actually run a forum that had hundreds of members... and I wanted to tap into that energy & try to remember what made it successful. Then I realized it was partly because I flirted with nerdy internet guys and said lots of stupid stuff, which was attractive for people who also watched train wrecks in their spare time. Alas. <- Is that how you're supposed to use the word alas?

Anyway. One of my plans is upgrading the message board when I reach 50 users to a paid forum software that is much cleaner, more professional-looking, and FUNNER. Until then, I have to try and market myself with what I've got. Basically if I were a lemonade stand, I'd be the one with lemons that had brown spots & I'd be painting my nails and ignoring people & using water from the garden hose and charging way too much. And when I didn't make $1,000 at the end of the day, I'd be like, "Dude. WHAT?!? Why????"

So this is me... humbly asking for you to bluntly make suggestions on anything around this blog or on the message board that you think will help me attract mamas and mamas-to-be. I've gotta get that member count to 50, and I need your help! Just tell me what will keep you individually coming back.

3 Responses to Designing a Profitable Blog

  1. Tweets that mention Designing a Profitable Blog | Momfish -- Topsy.com

    [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by amanda, momfishblog. momfishblog said: New post: Designing a Profitable Blog http://momfish.com/?p=146 [...]

  2. Claudia

    One thing I like to see/use is when blogs have a "widget" or "badge" to grab and add to your site. It's visually appealing. As an example, see this page: http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/about-elsie.html at the very bottom - she's got tons!

  3. Momfish

    I totally agree, Claudia. If I want people to spread the word, I better help them out, huh? Thanks girl!

Leave a Reply