Featured Guest: First Time Mom Finds Confidence

Posted by Kalen on Monday, February 21, 2011. Filed under: , , ,

Tiffany is a licensed counselor in Lexington, Kentucky, working with children and their families. I went to school with her and have seen her do play therapy in person, and she's not only a talented clinician, but an amazingly hard-working mama. She is passionate about her faith and her family. Here she shares some insight about growing into her confidence as a mom.


I looked into the eyes of my beautiful new-born baby girl with all the wonder and excitement I could muster. That is how every new mother should feel right? But whom am I kidding? Really I looked into those big blue eyes asking her, “What do I do with you now? How do I make you laugh, and smile? What do we do to have fun?" To be honest with you I expected her to answer. I knew I wanted nothing more in this world than to make her laugh, and inspire her.

This would be a life long adventure for the 3 of us. I knew if I stressed over being a “perfect” mom it would greatly affect my marriage and ultimately my relationship with a perfect gift, my daughter. I simply needed to be the best mom I could be - good enough - and love her with everything in me. This balancing act was going to be the most important one of my life.

Relationships are something I've always valued. My husband is my best friend and we had added a baby girl to this equation, and I knew it was the most important relationship I would ever have. I wanted a relationship with my daughter that was fun and unique and playful.

So I did what my daughter did and she did what I did.

If she was doing tummy time, so was I. Laying in the floor playing with her toys, telling stories and singing songs. When I showered, she was there with me, literally in the shower. We went somewhere together almost every day. And “no,” was not a word that was or would be used in our house. Our house was a safe place for exploring, it was a safe place to be silly and be fun and we did.



I quickly became less scared, and looked at the world the way my daughter did with curiosity, excitement and wonder, and then my fear of messing up vanished. I no longer stressed over having it all right and all together, and simply did what felt right. I listened to my body, and more than that I listened to my daughter. I did not stress over screams and tears or dirty bottles.

I fell madly, passionately in love with my daughter. I let go of questions and realized that quicker than I wanted these days would pass, she would be walking and eventually even dating. When those times come, I want her to know that I will unconditionally forever be her mom and best friend.

No Responses to Featured Guest: First Time Mom Finds Confidence

Leave a Reply